The Board acknowledged the passing of Dale Hinkle, husband of Audrey Hinkle, elementary teacher; Benjamin D. Noblet, husband of Erin Noblet, former middle school teacher and nephew of Dianne Cain, attendance/residency checker; and Irene Sippos, aunt of Marilyn Zabelsky, elementary teacher. It was moved by Mrs. Kubancsek and seconded by Mr. Natale place an appropriate selection of books into the Steel Valley School District Libraries in their memory.
Mrs. Cannon commended the 4th and 5th grade students at Barrett and Park Elementary Schools for their participation in the teleconference with Charlie Batch for the Dignity and Respect campaign.
Student Representative’s Report
Senior Student Representative Taylor Szczepankowski reported on the student assembly at Park School with Jon Pritikin, a motivational speaker who reinforced the anti-bullying message. He is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being a strong man. Mr. Pritikin showed his strength by ripping a phone book in half, rolling up a metal frying pay and twirling two girls in the air while they held on to a pole. He encouraged them to spread the message that “words hurt” and to “be a friend to someone in need.”
She reported that the 6th grade girls are participating in Girls Groups, and the 8th grade students are taking a field trip to the Carnegie Music Hall for a performance of short stories.
Seniors took the PSSA Reading and Math retakes on October 25 and Writing and Science retakes on November 1.
The boys’ soccer and girls’ volleyball teams qualified for the WPIAL playoffs.
Dr. Kinavey recognized high school varsity football player Dontez Williams for his achievement of the PPG AIM Player of the Week. He was honored at the Pittsburgh Steelers game on October 16.
Also recognized was Senior Ben Bobick who finished in the top 5 at the golf sectional qualifier. Ben played in the Division II Championship at New Castle Country Club.
Dr. Kinavey congratulated the Marching Band who were named Chapter 8 Champions and have qualified to attend the Atlantic Coast Championships in Hershey.
The annual Veterans Day programs will be held as follows:
|November 9 ||1:30 pm ||Barrett Elementary School |
|November 10 ||9:00 am ||Park Elementary School |
|November 11 ||8:45 am ||Senior High School |
Dr. Kinavey asked the public to contact their legislators regarding the passage of Senate Bill 1. SB1 will fund school vouchers and drain even more money from public education.
Director of Pupil Personnel, Special Services and Elementary Education
Mrs. Borges announced that a fire safety assembly was held at Park School. The firemen showed the children their equipment and talked to them about a safety plan.
Park and Barrett Schools will hold their annual Halloween parades on Thursday, and Franklin Primary Center will hold its parade on Friday.
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held at Park and Barrett Elementary Schools on Tuesday, November 8.
Director of Academics, Information & Technology Report
Mr. Colebank commended the students who participated in the teleconference. He reported that we were connected via a teleconference with eleven other schools for the Dignity and Respect program held at Barrett Elementary School.
Grades are due November 2, and report cards will be distributed November 7.
Mr. Colebank reported on the Steel Valley Online Academy, an educational cyber program using EdOptions. The benefits of having our own cyber school program are flexibility in offering enrichment for some of our gifted students, credit recovery, alternative to students who drop out, alternative for medical homebound, solution for summer school, and preparation for GED. Currently, Steel Valley has 13 full-time students participating in the Steel Valley Online Academy. scores.
The Board expelled a minor male student from October 3, 2011, through and including October 2, 2012..
The Board approved the meeting minutes of September 20 and 27, 2011.
The Board approved the following financial items:
- General Fund invoices for October 2011 in the amount of $670,643.80
- General Fund hand checks for September 2011 in the amount of $1,118,600.59
- Payroll Funding Transfers for September 2011
- Food Services invoices for October 2011 in the amount of $50,068.78
- Food Service hand check for September 2011 in the amount of $624.04
- Capital Projects 2005 Statement of Income and Expense for month ending September 30, 2011
- Foundation for Education Technology Statement of Income and Expense for month ending September 30, 2011
- Custodial hand checks in the amount of $17,232.52
- Athletic invoices/hand checks in the amount of $7,490.00
- Band Trip hand checks in the amount of $137.89
- Authorized a real estate tax refund as a result of an overpayment to Wells Fargo, in the amount of $779.79 for Lot & Block 133-G-80
- Authorized a real estate tax refund as a result of an overpayment to Citimortgage, in the amount of $3,667.02 for Lot & Block 132-H-190
- Authorized a real estate tax refund to Costco Wholesale Corporation, Lot & Block 90-D-225, as a result of Costco paying a portion of the Sandcastle real estate taxes, in the amount of $16,696.28
The Board approved the facility rental requests as presented.
The Board approved the following items:
- Fundraising requests as presented
- Agreement between the Steel Valley School District and the West Mifflin Area School District to allow Steel Valley players to wrestle with the West Mifflin Varsity Wrestling Team for the 2011-2012 season according to the terms of the agreement
- Letter of Agreement with Academics in Motion to provide a comprehensive academic and personal development support program at the Steel Valley High School from October 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012, at no cost to the district
The Board approved the following items:
- Family medical leave of absence for Christina Szott beginning November 22, 2011, not to exceed 12 weeks in duration
- Supplemental appointments as presented for the 2011-2012 school year
- Retroactively approved the request from Geraldine Wilson, cafeteria worker at Park Elementary School, for a family medical leave of absence, beginning September 28, 2011, through October 28, 2011
- Amendments to the job description for the Attendance/Residence Checker
- Re-instated one (1) full-time custodian position and recalled one (1) custodian from the furlough list for the 2011-2012 school year to work the second shift at the Senior High School and also to be utilized in all the school facilities, effective October 26, 2011
- Denied Grievance #2011.09.01 from the Secretarial/Aide Educational Support Personnel Association due to no violation of the collective bargaining agreement as alleged
- Denied Grievance #2011.09.02 from the Secretarial/Aide Educational Support Personnel Association due to no violation of the collective bargaining agreement as alleged
- Denied Grievance #2011.09.03 from the Secretarial/Aide Educational Support Personnel Association due to past practice
- Denied Grievance #2011.10.01 from the Secretarial/Aide Educational Support Personnel Association due to no violation of the collective bargaining agreement as alleged